Saturday 16 August 2008

Het leven gaat door - Life goes on

This week was for the finishing touches to the extension. Literally. I touched up all the missed or damaged bits of paintwork and I painted the walk-in cupboard. Total hours spent painting in the new extension: 64!!


On one side of that cupboard we'll make shelves and rails for clothes and then there's still plenty space for Owen's Warhammer stuff, his Donald Duck magazine collection, and other valuable souvenirs of a youth well spent, such as boxes of Playmobil, Lego and K-nex. They're now up in the attic, but I'm sure when they're more at hand it'll get used again...
So the room is actually finished now and ready to be lived in. This huge table is very dear to me, as it's about as old as I am. It was made by a good friend of the family - Uncle Henk, we call him - when I was only little. Yes, a long, long time ago. The table is not only huge, but also solid. And it has a formica top - easy to clean! - and two extensions. It doesn't really fit into our living/dining room, so I am utterly pleased that it's found a new use!
And while I'm cleaning up and all that, I have live music to keep the spirits up!

Another item that is being put back into use is Owen's hammock, in the hardwood stand. It takes up a lot of space and even in this big room there's only one way it will fit. But Owen will be over the moon to have it back and I doubt if he'll sleep in his bed when this is available.

Ken is being a good Daddy and sacrifices some of his precious time to test-sleep the hammock and make sure it's safe and sound for Owen. Aahhh.
For the sake of completeness, a picture from the other side of the room. I've bought blue jeans coloured curtains today and with a bit of luck they'll be up before Monday. Then the room is ready to be personalized by Owen :). I doubt if you'll see anymore pictures of it after this...

To round it off, we made use of the one morning this week when it wasn't raining and we did the garden, so at least the garden matches the house again. Wow, who would've thought I'd end up in a neat looking house with a neat looking garden!!

And yes, we also do other things... Earlier this week, on Tuesday, we picked Jacen up. Austin was also staying here for a couple of days and the three of them were getting along just fine, having lots of fun at LaserQuest (walking into town together), playing Guitar Hero on the X-Box, playing real guitar and other games, watching films in the cinema and at home, hanging out in the caravan...

And I know what we'll be doing after we've had a few more days of sunshine! Picking brambles! Look at these! And there's loads and loads of them in our other bit of garden, just across the road. We can see them from our front window. We'd been thinking about cutting them down, but I'm so glad we didn't. Yum!!

1 comment:

stefndawniy said...

lovely to see you all :-) xx